Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happiness or Contentment?

Happiness: being delighted, pleased, glad
Contentment: satisfaction or ease of mind

My life has thrown me many curve balls. My husband and I had only known each other for four months (dating for two) when we found out I was pregnant with our daughter. Our son was also a surprise. There are times like those when I am dumbfounded and unhappy. I wasn't planning pregnancy or any of the many other things that have come my way, but I roll with it and they turned out to be some of my happiest moments.

Happiness is just that though... a series of moments. Am I happy right now? My son is napping (HAPPY!). The laundry is going (HAPPY!). I got a visit from a great friend (HAPPY!). So, I guess the answer would be yes. Tomorrow could be a different story.

Happiness seems to come and go, but what I really want in my life is contentment. I want satisfaction with my life. I want that ease of mind that I have done all that I can and my life is "good." We all set goals for ourselves, many of them forced on us by society.

My Life Plan

  • Finish High School
  • Go to College
  • Start Career
  • Get Married
  • Have kids
  • Make millions :)
Whoops!!! I haven't done many of those and the ones I did do were out of order. Was I happy with that... not really. I still don't have a college degree and my "career" is making money... no joke, I work to make money. If you know anyone who loves their job let me know ;).

Ok.. I am rambling. My point is people are too focused on being "happy." We need to be content. We need to have that satisfaction with our lives. I think that would make the happy moments come more often and be more noticeable.

3 comments:

  1. I think you're right, although I would add one thought: I think that recognizing the "happy" can help lead you to contentment. It's easy to get caught up in the negatives--in the bills that aren't paid or the tasks you haven't completed--but when you take a few moments to recognize the happiness, then you start to realize that maybe you're a little more content than you thought you were. No, it's not perfect, but it never will be, because perfect doesn't exist. Contentment recognizes this and is satisfied anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this post SO WELL. My life? Yeah, it has not followed a plan at all. Certainly not the one I blindly assumed I would follow. But it's okay now. And I'm so happy to be able to say "it's okay." Because for a long, long time I wasn't sure if I'd be able to say that. And the shift in my timeline is something I can look at now with a smile. And this brings me the contentment I need--the peace--to be able to recognize the happy moments in their entirety.

    ReplyDelete