Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Parent's Mortality

It has been a while.... I had started working on this entry during the summer and I am finally prepared to share it.

A little over a month ago my dad was in a car accident. He was rear-ended by a truck when he was at a complete stop. He was slammed into another car that was stopped in front of him. So, he ended up crushed in between the two vehicles. My mom texted me to let me know what had happened. I was in an instant panic. Is he ok? What happened? Is he out of the car? Are you going to the ER? I was at work when I got the message and was visibly upset.

All I could think about was that my dad might die. I don't know how to live in a world where my dad is dead.

He is fine :) but it really worried me. Then I realized that some day I may be in a world where my parents aren't. How do I deal with that?

I have friends that have lost parents. I don't know how they function. I know that I can go to my mom and ask her any question and she will give me an answer... sometimes not the answer I want... she is my mother after all, but an answer nonetheless.

My dad and I have always had a close relationship. He is the type of dad that will listen to you, but not give you a knee jerk reaction. He will ponder what you have said, sometimes to the point that you wonder if he even remembers the conversation (we are talking days people), and then give you an answer that is well thought out and full of love and understanding.

When you have amazing parents it is hard to ever imagine being without them. So, if that or when that day comes how do you function? I still don't have an answer and I don't think I will get one any time soon. I am going to try to cherish the time all of us have together and try to be the best parent I can be to my children because they will have these questions some day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment